12 Dec 2008

Why Infidels?

Well, there are a number of overlapping, or at least interconnecting, modes of thought that are expressions of non-belief in a metaphysical or supernatural entity. I could have chosen atheism or agnosticism, naturalism or rationalism, or some other single or compound philosophy. However, I think the defining thing is the personal experience rather than the rationalisation of the existence or otherwise of some metaphysical being, and therefore my preferred expression is one of non-belief. The only existing word that literally means non-believer is infidel. It is also important to reclaim words and reshape their meaning; in this case to rehabilitate a word that is used in a negative sense by believers, or fideists. The battle, in my opinion, is between fideists and infidels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before they are posted so that I can see what needs to be actioned. So please don't send the same message over and over again. Be patient and I will read it.

A World Beyond Belief Aggregated